Monday, October 30, 2023

Wednesday October 19 / November 1 ns 2023 • Holy Prophet Joel, Holy Martyr Várus, St. John of Rila, St. John of Kronstadt ~ Fast day ~ GRATITUDE TO GOD Saint John of Kronstadt


CLICK HERE

FOR PAGES 


The Holy Prophet Joel,
Holy Martyr Várus,
St. John of Rila,
St. John of Kronstadt

Fast day



 Joel is second in the line of the minor prophets. St. Joel was the son of Phanuel, from the tribe of Reuben. He lived eight hundred years before Christ. 

Joel prophesied the misfortunes of the people of Israel, and the Babylonian Captivity because of the sins they had committed in the sight of God. He called the people to fasting and the priests to tearful penitential prayer, that God would have mercy on them: Sanctify ye a fast … and cry unto the Lord (Joel 1:14); Let the priests, the ministers of the Lord, weep between the porch and the altar (Joel 2:17). Joel also foretold the Descent of the Spirit of God upon the apostles and the pouring out of the grace of the Spirit of God upon all Christians: Then afterward I will pour out My spirit upon all flesh (Joel 2:28). He prophesied and described the Dread Judgment of God, and also prophesied the glory of God's Holy Church.

The Acts of the Holy Apostles
 2:14-21
KJV
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:

20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and notable day of the Lord come:

21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.


Saint Luke
9:44-50
KJV
44 Let these sayings sink down into your ears: for the Son of man shall be delivered into the hands of men.

45 But they understood not this saying, and it was hid from them, that they perceived it not: and they feared to ask him of that saying.

46 Then there arose a reasoning among them, which of them should be greatest.

47 And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a child, and set him by him,

48 And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.

49 And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.

50 And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.



GRATITUDE TO GOD
Saint John of Kronstadt



Thoughts in the street, during a walk, at the sight of the rising moon.

I gratify you in everything, says the Lord: I have created you after Mine own image and likeness;
I have made the sun, the moon, and the stars shine for you;
I have created the earth with all its fruits for you;
I have diffused the air for you to breathe;
I have given you fire to light and warm you, and to cook your food;
I have given you various kinds of sweet food and drink;
I have taught you how to make many and various items for your clothing, and have given you materials for this purpose;
I have given you gold, silver, copper, and other metals in the bosom of the earth, for money and other objects;
I have gathered you together in well-organized communities;
I have given you a sovereign after Mine own heart, Mine anointed, My likeness upon earth;
Lastly, I have given you Mine only Begotten Son—and have given Him to die for you; have given Him, by His own will, to you for food and drink. 
I have founded the Church upon earth under His supremacy; what have you done and what are you doing for Me? 
How do you recompense Me for all My goodness? By forgetting Me,
by ingratitude towards Me, by denying Me, by despising My laws! 
"O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? 
How long shall I suffer you?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment