Monday, October 9, 2023

Wednesday September 28 / October 11 ns 2023 • St. Charíton the Confessor; Holy Prophet Baruch; Holy Royal Martyr Wenceslaus, Prince of the Czechs ~ Fast day ~ MAKE SOMETHING NEGATIVE SOMETHING POSITIVE by Metropolitan Demetrius GOC ~ ANGELS UNAWARES




Thou didst ascend the cross O Jesus
Thou Who didst descend from heaven
Thou camest unto death O Life Immortal
Thou camest unto those in darkness
Thou Who are the True Light
Thou camest unto the fallen O Resurrection of us all
Our Light and Savior Glory to Thee


CLICK HERE TO GO TO ALL PAGES AND SERVICES

Saint Charíton the Confessor
Holy Prophet Baruch
Holy Royal Martyr Wenceslaus,
Prince of the Czechs
~ FAST DAY ~
Charíton was a distinguished and devout citizen of the city of Iconium. Imbued with the spirit of his compatriot, St. Thecla, Chariton openly confessed the name of Christ. When a bitter persecution of Christians began during the reign of Emperor Aurelian, Chariton was immediately brought to trial before the eparch. The judge ordered him to worship the gods, but Chariton replied: ``All your gods are demons, and were cast from the heavens into the nethermost hell.'' Chariton clearly proclaimed his faith in the One Living God, the Creator of all, and the Lord Jesus, the Savior of mankind. The eparch ordered that he be tortured and beaten, until his whole body was like one great wound. When Aurelian's evil deeds caught up with him and he died an evil death, Chariton was freed from torture and prison. He then set out for Jerusalem. On the way he was seized by robbers, but escaped from them by God's providence. Chariton, not wanting to return to Iconium again, withdrew to the wilderness of Pharan, where he founded a monastery and gathered monks. He established a rule for the monastery and then, to avoid the praise of men, withdrew to another wilderness near Jericho. There he founded another monastery called the Monastery of Chariton. Finally, he founded a third monastery, Souka, which the Greeks called the Old Lavra. Chariton died at a great old age, and took up his abode in the glory of his Lord on September 28, 350. His relics repose in his first monastery. The composition of the rite of monastic tonsure is attributed to St. Chariton.


Philippians 1:12-20 KJV

12 But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel;

13 So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other places;

14 And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.

15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:

16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:

17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.

18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

19 For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.

Saint Luke 5:33-39 KJV

33 And they said unto him, Why do the disciples of John fast often, and make prayers, and likewise the disciples of the Pharisees; but thine eat and drink?

34 And he said unto them, Can ye make the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them?

35 But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.

36 And he spake also a parable unto them; No man putteth a piece of a new garment upon an old; if otherwise, then both the new maketh a rent, and the piece that was taken out of the new agreeth not with the old.

37 And no man putteth new wine into old bottles; else the new wine will burst the bottles, and be spilled, and the bottles shall perish.

38 But new wine must be put into new bottles; and both are preserved.

39 No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.

LIINK

MAKE SOMETHING NEGATIVE SOMETHING POSITIVE

Sermon delivered by His Eminence Metropolitan Demetrius of America at Saint John of San Francisco Orthodox Monastery, Cobleskill, NY.

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Saint Paul to the Hebrews 13:2 KJV

Previously posted

I've often taken photos of new acquaintances at the Walmart grocery store.  Unfortunately I cannot offer you an image of the fellow I met today.

An individual approached me today Wednesday September 28, 2022 in the frozen food aisle of Wal-Mart. He had the largest eyes I think I've ever seen.  His eyebrows were also very large and dominated his forehead. His hair was mixed black and gray, almost shoulder length, somewhat disheveled and parted in the middle.  He was quite short and bent, forcing me to look down at him. He looked to be approximately 65 years old.  “Excuse me, may I ask you a question” he said. "Sure,'' I replied.  Surprisingly he pulled his shirt up from out of his pants in the aisle exposing most of his wrinkled stomach and chest.  Protruding and hanging from his left side was a bag that Presbytera explained may have been a colostomy. I must admit I felt a request for money coming but I was entirely wrong.  

He proceeded to explain:  “A kind and sweet lady regularly takes care of this thing hanging from my side for me.  I wish to buy her some flowers but I am hesitant because people are not acting normally and I am afraid she may be offended or take me the wrong way. “What do you think? he asked.”

I replied: "I doubt very much she will be offended so I wouldn't be concerned.  In fact, I would guess she will be quite pleased.  And even if she misinterprets your intention, God knows your heart - trust Him.  Just do it and be thankful to God."  He thanked me, took a few steps away down the aisle but then turned back toward me and said “Yes we must always, always be thankful to God.” Just then the words of a saint came to mind which I shared with him.   “If we do not express continual gratitude for His immeasurable gifts, then we are nothing but thieves”   He smiled greatly and replied:  “Well said, thank God.”


No comments:

Post a Comment