Wednesday, June 19, 2024

THE PARAGON Thursday June 7/30ns 2024 • Holy Hieromartyr Theódotos of Ancyra, St. Paḯsios (Panagés) Basiás of Cephallenia ~ ON THE SIX PSALMS

Our Creator expects interest on His investment in us.  Interest is acquired in many ways that include exposing one's self to the writings and following the guidance offered by His saints to whom He reveals His mystical nature.

PAGES
(link to the writings of the saints)

HERE


Groveling in Matter - Eat, drink and . . . Carnal man, spiritually blind and deaf, grovels in transitory matter and thereby remains a stranger to the Self that dwells within, the true Self, who is not only capable of moving mountains but inhaling galaxies and exhaling universes.

Today we praise

The Holy Hieromartyr Theódotos of Ancyra
and
 St. Païsios (Panagés) Basiás of Cephalonia


Holy Hieromartyr Theódotos was secretly a Christian and, as such, helped the Church and honorably buried the bodies of the holy martyrs. Thus, he buried the bodies of seven maidens who suffered for Christ. When the pagans found out about him, they subjected him to tortures and killed him.


Acts 25:13-19 King James Version

13 And after certain days king Agrippa and Bernice came unto Caesarea to salute Festus.

14 And when they had been there many days, Festus declared Paul's cause unto the king, saying, There is a certain man left in bonds by Felix:

15 About whom, when I was at Jerusalem, the chief priests and the elders of the Jews informed me, desiring to have judgment against him.

16 To whom I answered, It is not the manner of the Romans to deliver any man to die, before that he which is accused have the accusers face to face, and have licence to answer for himself concerning the crime laid against him.

17 Therefore, when they were come hither, without any delay on the morrow I sat on the judgment seat, and commanded the man to be brought forth.

18 Against whom when the accusers stood up, they brought none accusation of such things as I supposed:

19 But had certain questions against him of their own superstition, and of one Jesus, which was dead, whom Paul affirmed to be alive.


Saint John 16:23-33 King James Version

23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.

26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:

27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

29 His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.

30 Now are we sure that thou knowest all things, and needest not that any man should ask thee: by this we believe that thou camest forth from God.

31 Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe?

32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.


ON THE SIX PSALMS



There is a tradition in the Church which says the Six Psalms will be read to each of us by our guardian angel at the Last Judgment, and during the time of the reading, the whole world will be judged.

The Six Psalms (Psalms 3, 37, 62, 87, 102, and 142) are a regular part of nearly every Orthros (Matins) service. It is one of the most sacred parts of the Orthros service. During their reading, we should abandon all thoughts, stand quietly, and pay attention.

The Six Psalms bring together the segments of the Christian life, comforting the sorrow we experience on the path to Eternal joy. Most or all the candles or lights in the church are extinguished while the Psalms are read. The dimly lit Church enhances concentration on the words of the psalms and the various doxologies to God. Moreover, on one hand it becomes difficult to see one another but this in turn allows us to repent, conversing with Christ Himself.

During the reading of Psalm 87, the priest leaves the altar to read the twelve morning prayers, which include intercessions for those standing in the Church and for the forgiveness of their sins. This act symbolizes Christ, who heard the mourning of mankind and left His heavenly throne to rescue us, and ultimately shares in the suffering that Psalm 87 describes:


Wherefore, O Lord, dost Thou cast off my soul and turnest Thy face away from me? A poor man am I, and in troubles from my youth; yea, having been exalted, I was humbled and brought to distress. Thy furies have passed upon me, and Thy terrors have sorely troubled me. They came round about me like water, all the day long they compassed me about together. Thou hast removed afar from me friend and neighbor, and mine acquaintances because of my misery.


No comments:

Post a Comment