Thursday, September 19, 2024

Friday September 7/20 ns 2024 • Holy Martyr Sózon, St. Cassiané the Hymnographer; St. Chrysostomos the new of Phlorina, the Confessor - Fast day - II Cor. 11:5-21; St. Mark 4:1-9 - ON SECULAR LEARNING - INTELLIGENCE?

Holy Martyr Sózon
St. Cassiané the Hymnographer;
St. Chrysostomos the new of Phlorina,
the Confessor
Fast day

Sózon was born in Lyconia. He was a shepherd and kept all of God's laws, instructing his peers and friends in his pious Faith. In a vision he was shown that he would suffer martyrdom for Christ. This was in the time of Maximian, magistrate of Cilicia, who perpetrated a terrible persecution of Christians in the nearby city of Pompeiopolis. In that city there was a certain golden idol which the pagans worshiped.  Sózon left his flock, went to the city, entered the pagan temple and broke the arm off the golden idol. He crumbled it into bits and distributed it to the poor. There was a great uproar because of this, and the pagans sought out the guilty one. 

So that no one else would suffer for his deed, Sózon went to the magistrate and declared himself to be a Christian and the perpetrator of that act. His torturers first beat him, then suspended him from a tree and scraped his body with iron combs. When he was nearly dead, they cast him into a fire, where St. Sozon gave up his holy soul to God. He suffered in about the year 304. St. Sózon's relics were miracle-working, and a Church in his name was built over them.


INTELLIGENGE ?
St. Anthony the Great of Egypt


From Saint Basil the Great
ON
SECULAR LEARNING
Certain people may speak against the study of philosophy because many philosophers became heretics, yet many saints and teachers of the Church were not worsened by their study.  Secular learning is not the source for making one a heretic, but one's bad disposition.  Learning is a tool for the service of mankind.  A knife may be used to cut bread or slay someone, though it is a lifeless object, not being good or evil by nature.  It is taken up for either service or slaughter by the user.  The same may be said of learning which was given by God for the service of mankind,  If one uses it wickedly, God is blameless, even as the craftsman who fashioned the aforementioned knife, St. Gregory the Theologian writes:  "Many Christians , by an error of judgement, scorn external culture as treacherous and dangerous and as turning us away from God.  The heavens, the earth, the air, and all such things are not to be condemned because some have wrongly interpreted them and venerate the creatures of God in place of God,  On the contrary, we select from them what is useful both for life and enjoyment and we avoid what is dangerous,  not opposing creation to the Creator, as the foolish do, but acknowledging the Maker of the world from His works..."



2 Corinthians 11:5-21 KJV

5 For I suppose I was not a whit behind the very chiefest apostles.

6 But though I be rude in speech, yet not in knowledge; but we have been throughly made manifest among you in all things.

7 Have I committed an offence in abasing myself that ye might be exalted, because I have preached to you the gospel of God freely?

8 I robbed other churches, taking wages of them, to do you service.

9 And when I was present with you, and wanted, I was chargeable to no man: for that which was lacking to me the brethren which came from Macedonia supplied: and in all things I have kept myself from being burdensome unto you, and so will I keep myself.

10 As the truth of Christ is in me, no man shall stop me of this boasting in the regions of Achaia.

11 Wherefore? because I love you not? God knoweth.

12 But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we.

13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

16 I say again, let no man think me a fool; if otherwise, yet as a fool receive me, that I may boast myself a little.

17 That which I speak, I speak it not after the Lord, but as it were foolishly, in this confidence of boasting.

18 Seeing that many glory after the flesh, I will glory also.

19 For ye suffer fools gladly, seeing ye yourselves are wise.

20 For ye suffer, if a man bring you into bondage, if a man devour you, if a man take of you, if a man exalt himself, if a man smite you on the face.

21 I speak as concerning reproach, as though we had been weak. Howbeit whereinsoever any is bold, (I speak foolishly,) I am bold also.

Saint Mark 4:1-9 KJV

4 And he began again to teach by the sea side: and there was gathered unto him a great multitude, so that he entered into a ship, and sat in the sea; and the whole multitude was by the sea on the land.

2 And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,

3 Hearken; Behold, there went out a sower to sow:

4 And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up.

5 And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth:

6 But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away.

7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit.

8 And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some an hundred.

9 And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.




GREAT FEAST DAY






No comments:

Post a Comment